2020

NATURALLY FRACTURED RESERVOIRS

AT THE SCHULICH SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING
UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY, CANADA


SHEAR FRACTURES IN GRANITE

Welcome to our Home Page. This site offers you the opportunity to learn more about the graduate level course on Naturally Fractured Reservoirs (ENCH 649) presented by Dr. Roberto Aguilera in the Chemical and Petroleum Engineering Department, Schulich School of Engineering, at the University of Calgary.

Since presenting his first industry course in Irving, Texas in 1980, Dr. Aguilera's course on naturally fractured reservoirs has become highly successful worldwide. At the University of Calgary, he performs research and lectures on the theoretical and practical aspects of naturally fractured reservoirs using examples from around the world. Naturally fractured reservoirs hold large hydrocarbon resources and represent attractive economic targets in exploratory ventures. Dr. Aguilera's course provides a modern, unique and successfully tested approach for evaluation of naturally fractured reservoirs and is designed as a graduate level course in petroleum engineering.

Approximately 85% of the course is devoted to the relationship between geology, petrophysics, well testing and primary-secondary recovery from these reservoirs. In the remaining 15% other topics dealing with completion methods, tight gas, shale gas, tight oil, shale oil, coalbed methane and case histories are reviewed. Assignments and quizzes are given throughout the course to give participants examples that may be readily adapted to suit their own particular requirements in research and industry. A term paper on a topic related to naturally fractured reservoirs is requested from each student by the end of the course. 


CONTACT US:
Dr. Roberto Aguilera
Professor of Petroleum Engineering
Schulich School of Engineering
Chemical and Petroleum Engineering Department
Offic: Room CCIT 220
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4        
Phone Number: (403) 210-7943              
Fax Number: (403) 284-4852
Email: r.aguilera@ucalgary.ca